Women, Gender And Development
The Women, Gender and Development desk was formed to support women in their issues that enable them attain equality, eradicate poverty and have their rights voiced. The office primarily deals with the promotion and support of the female sex affairs and their smooth co-existence with men. Since its existence, the Women, Gender and Development Desk has provided support to the rural women through a range of activities in sustainable agriculture, hygiene and sanitation, skilling and group savings and credit. The desk operates under the following thematic areas; women empowerment, youth and unemployment, girl child empowerment, vulnerable adults, HIV/AIDS.
- VISION: An informed and God-fearing community of men and women recognizing each other’s rights and working together for the sustainable integral development
- MISSION: To promote gender awareness and to empower women in Fort Portal Diocese to improve their living conditions and that of their families and communities for eternal salvation
- To promote gender-sensitive ideologies and practices in communities for integral development.
- To enhance the economic and social capacity of women to reduce household poverty and enhance their dignity.
- To empower women and children to uphold their human rights and dignity.
- To support orphans and vulnerable children to improve their quality of life.
- To support women in their spiritual growth for the growth and development of their families.
- To provide Entrepreneurship skills among women and youth.
The office of gender and development has worked with women in the districts of Kabarole, Bunyangabu, and Kamwenge specifically in the catholic parishes of Kicwamba, Virika, Kahunge, Kitumbi, Kanyamukale, and Bukwali. 45 Village savings and lending associations have been formed. At the household level, all 1324 households have acquired skills in; improved farming methods mainly in banana management, poultry, and animal husbandry. Planting of kitchen gardens, construction of energy-saving stoves, environmental conservation, and general household hygiene and sanitation. All these activities have been implemented at the household level.